Residential backup generators are increasing in popularity.
Power outages never choose a convenient time. If you frequently lose power, owning a home generator as a backup is more than a luxury. It’s a necessity! For kids, a power outage crisis is losing smartphone services and Xbox® gaming. For their parents, a freezer full of defrosted steaks and chops represents a great deal of money going down the drain.
Perhaps it’s a sign of the times, or maybe it’s just smart consumerism. Many residential and property owners buy a generator for emergency use. In a country that suffers from forces of nature; cyclones, bush fires, flooding, storms, and yes – when Japan suffers a tsunami, Australia gets tidal waves as well (March 2011).
Families who live in outlying areas usually invest in a generator, but nowadays even people who live in the city want a backup generator; “just in case.” Consumer Reports notes most homeowners wait until just before or after a horrific storm to buy a generator. They rush to an appliance store, buy something – anything – then when they get home they don’t quite know what to do with it.
Frequent power outages in your home are a good reason to invest in a generator. For the occasional camping trip in the outback or bbq in the backyard, it makes more sense to hire a generator. Factors to help you determine what kind of generator hire or purchase you need include:
Frequency – How often you need a generator is a big factor in your generator hire or purchase.
Price – “Reliability has a price,” says realtor.com. The greater your investment, the more comfortable you will be during a power outage.
Time – Take time to research different brands, makes, and models.
Wattage – What is the maximum amount of power you will need at one time? Include everything, from light bulbs to laptops. Here are your home’s “energy hogs:”
- Cable/satellite set-top boxes
- Ceiling fans
- Cordless phones
- Personal computers
- Video game consoles
Portable home generators can be a lot like riding lawn mowers. They’re big, smelly, loud, and incredibly convenient. Some portable home generator features can include
- Additional outlets
- Fuel choices (petrol or diesel)
- Fuel gauge
- Inverter technology
- Low-oil shutoff
- Push-button start
A stationary generator should give you enough power to keep your house going for more than one day. It should be professionally installed because its location is important to your safety. Sometimes a stationary generator can even be hooked up to a municipal gas line. If you’re shopping for a stationary generator, renting may be a more affordable option. Again, it depends on the frequency of use.
Commercial generator hire benefits
Industrial and commercial applications almost always require the use of powerful generators. Organisations and businesses always analyse the pros and cons of buying vs. hiring. Rental Power case studies make a great argument for commercial generator hire.
In fact, that’s a good recommendation for hiring any size commercial equipment:
Get references and recent testimonies about the company from which you are considering. If the best example of an equipment rental company’s client projects is 3 years old, that’s a red flag.
5 Benefits of Generator Hire
In a volatile economic marketplace, industries must concentrate on keeping overhead low and expenses at a minimum because profits are more unpredictable than ever. Generator hire offers more convenience – and flexibility – because you use what you need. The portability of generator hires also means your generator moves with you when your worksite changes.
Here are five advantages of industrial and commercial generator rental:
- Generator hire companies have factory-trained, experienced technicians that can provide set-up, installation, and superior maintenance services. The best generator rental company is one that specialises in one area: generators.
- Hire companies’ reputation for quality and service is critical. Generator hire fleets are well maintained because equipment rental companies depend on word-of-mouth advertising in several industries. Your generator will be in above-average condition: Rental Power has portable, single, and 3-phase skid or trailer mounted generator hire, and no generator is over 2 years old.
- Size matters. Overhead matters, as well. It’s a good idea to have some knowledge of the size generator needed for a specific application. Rental Power professionals will help you estimate your maximum power requirements and can ensure you get exactly what you need to bring a job in on-time and within budget.
- Technology is changing so quickly that the old “five-year plan” is a joke for any commercial organisation. Your generator purchase can give you equipment that is obsolete after 2 years. Outdated technology isn’t a problem with generator hire; these companies must offer flagship operations in generator technology.
- Yes, it can be cheaper to hire for long-term rather than purchase. Obviously for an annual event, renting is better than purchasing an industrial generator for primary or backup use. A commercial generator purchase is a rather large investment. If it’s too underpowered or more than you need, you’re stuck with it. If it fails in the middle of a critical application, your downtime can cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars in lost employee productivity and repair expenses. When you don’t need your generator for long periods of time, it sits idle in storage. That expense could be more profitably channeled.
Generator Hire Sydney
Rental Power is Sydney’s generator hire company that offers a robust, well-maintained fleet. With 15 years as a successful generator hire company, we have the reputation for high-quality equipment at rental prices to meet your budget. We’re time-tested . . . and we’ll be here tomorrow when you need us. We are equipped to serve residential, commercial, and heavy-duty applications because we know what you need. In-stock generators include:
- 13 kVA – 1250 kVA
24/7 Emergency Service
Rental Power provides 24-hour, 7-day emergency service to assist in any emergency generator breakdown. We strive to guarantee rapid response times to our mobile food and coffee trucks, emergency service vehicles, and RVs that need timely and efficient servicing to keep them on schedule and on the road. Our large commercial, industrial, and construction clients know we have the power they need when they need it.